Re: font change not 'taking'

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: font change not 'taking'
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:11:38 +0200

Am 25.08.2006 um 23:59 schrieb Bucky Goldberg:

Notice how the font in the 'xfontsel' application and the Konsole
window  - the one I'm trying to get Emacs to use - is still different
from what Emacs is displaying after executing the (set-default-font
"-*-console-*-*-*-*-17-*-*-*-*-*-*-*")  command shown in the scratch
buffer.  The 'console' font does not show up in the pop-up menu when
when I shift-left-click in Emacs.  I've tried lots of combinations in
place of the wildcards in the font selection string, with no real luck.
Any tips?

Could be you need to add some more keys – weight, slant, styles, registry, encoding ... for me it worked at once to switch to another font (Bitstream Vera Sans Mono) with (set-default-font "-*-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-*-*-0-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1").

To see some more fonts in the Font Menu *you* need to add them (or contribute a routine that finds automatically system monospaced fonts on a dozen windowing architectures)! The object to edit is x-fixed- font-alist. You could also create new fontsets ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

Upgraded:  Didn't work the first time.