Hook questions

From: Hadron Quark
Subject: Hook questions
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 02:03:57 +0200

1) Whats the difference between, say c-mode-hook and c-mode-common-hook?

2) If I "describe-mode" for while editing a c file I see the hook name
   documented as :

,----
| The hook `c-mode-common-hook' is run with no args at mode
| initialization, then `c-mode-hook'.
`----

The info mode (while reading info files) reveals no such hook. Can I
create one out of the blue?

Thanks for your patience -  theres a lot to learn and sometimes the
amount of info online and in emacs makes it hard to locate the info to
questions that pop up mid "discovery" as it were.