Re: Multiple .emacs files

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Multiple .emacs files
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:03:00 +1000

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> writes:

> floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:
>
>>>I have played a bit with the -u option, but have yet to get it to work
>>>with a config file named .emacsT
>>
>>    emacs -q -l ~/.emacsT
>
> A bit of a warning: I think I saw someone mentioning that doing the
> above was not exactly like switching your init file. What you do with
> the above is turn init file loading off and at the same time telling
> emacs to load another file. I am not sure but maybe things like
> Customize might not work as you expect (not saving to the .emacsT
> file).
>
> Someone who knows more can probably fill in here, or you can search
> the archives.

I have seen others report exactly this problem, so I think it is a
real concern. In particular, you may find that when you go to save
customize settings, it will fail or save it where you did not expect.
There is a variable that customize uses which may get around this
problem if you set it explicitly, but I seem to remember someone
reporting problems getting this to work as desired/expected.

There is a package out there called something like initz, which
provides a way of splitting up your emacs configuration so that only
certain parts are loaded depending on the emacs being run. I've not
used it myself, but am thinking about it as I'm now running two
different emacsen on a regular basis (emacs 21 and emacs 22 CVS) and
have come across some minor differences that will cause problems when
starting one of the emacsen. I don't know how well this will handle
the customize problem though.

HTH

Tim

--