Re: Extensions to make C/C++ development easier?

From: robert . thorpe
Subject: Re: Extensions to make C/C++ development easier?
Date: 12 Sep 2006 08:28:02 -0700

Stefan Arentz wrote:
> What are the favorite extensions here for making C/C++ development
> easier?
>
> I'm used to a Java IDE with symbol completion,

For all completion I use M-/ which works in most cases.  Explore the
variables around abbrev and dabbrev to customize these things the way
you want them.

> lookup of
> documentation,

In Emacs that is C-h C-i.  It drops you into the relevant info files.
If you're using Windows where the info file tree isn't populated then
try downloading them from the web.  The Glibc manual is the most useful
if you're doing C.

For lookup of functions I use M-. and etags.  I put "etags *.c *.h"
into the build system for this.

> completion on structs/classes, etc.

That isn't available in standard Emacs.  There is a mode available as
part of ECB which is a package you can download, I've never used it
myself.

Ebrowse, which comes with Emacs, can be useful for C++.