Re: Installing mew (editing Makefile.in)

From: ken
Subject: Re: Installing mew (editing Makefile.in)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:24:02 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:
> ken <gebser@speakeasy.net> writes:
>> Thanks very much, Ryo.  I hope mew works.  I've just downloaded and
>> untarred mew-5.1 and know I need to edit the values of some variables in
>> Makefile.in:
>
> No, you _shouldn't_ be editting Makefile.in, you should be running the
> configure script which will do all that stuff for you...
>
> E.g.:
>
>    ./configure
>
> or:
>
>    ./configure --prefix=$HOME
>
> to install everything underneath your home directory.

Really?  Even though the emacs executable is in
$HOME/linux/tarballs/emacs/src/ and the source and byte-compiled lisp
files are in $HOME/linux/tarballs/emacs/lisp/?  Doesn't mew need to find
certain emacs files and vice versa?  Or does ./configure figure out
where everything is?

> The configure script will derive all those various specific variables
> using the prefix you give it.

Say I'm not optimistic about everything going right....  Is there anyway
to do a check before doing the make?

Thanks for the tip.
ken