Re: How to install elisp manual to emacs?

From: robert . thorpe
Subject: Re: How to install elisp manual to emacs?
Date: 15 Sep 2006 08:55:29 -0700

Skull wrote:
> "jronald" <followait@163.com> writes:
>
> > I'v downloaded the lastest elisp manual, whose version is 21-2.8.
> > I'm using emacs 21.3 on windows xp.
> > I want to use C-h i m elisp to view the elisp manual.
> > How may I install it?
> > Thanks.
> >

> First, copy all necessary info files to youremacs/info. and then
> modifiy youremacs/info/dir, putting following line into bottom of this
> file.
>
> * Elisp: (elisp).     The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.

Yes.

Normally you have to unpack the manual with:-
tar -xvzf elisp-info.tar.gz
Then you will have the info file.

After that you can do what skull says above.

Regarding the last step of editing the dir file, there is another way
of doing it is:
* Copy info file to the right place as described above
* Open a shell in that directory
* type "install-info elisp.info"
And install-info will modify the dir file itself.

(When the next version of Emacs is released it will come with the Elisp
manual I think.)