Re: AucTeX 11.83 and MikTeX 2.5

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: AucTeX 11.83 and MikTeX 2.5
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:53:06 +0200

* Robert McDonald (2006-09-17) writes:

> Reiner Steib wrote:
>
>> Customize `TeX-output-view-style'.  In other words, delete the
>> "^pstricks$\\|^pst-\\|^psfrag$" entry there.
>
> Well, I'm a nitwit. I had tried deleting that entry but I forgot to
> byte-compile the file afterwards, so the change had no effect.

Please don't edit files directly.  There is a reason these things are
implemented as a customizable option.  What Reiner meant was that you
use `M-x customize-variable RET TeX-output-view-style RET', change the
value and save it.

> In case this is of interest to anyone else, I have edited one entry and
> added one entry to tex-mik.el to make auctex 11.83 work better with
> MikTeX 2.5. (This is trial and error, so suggestions and corrections are
> welcome.):

Ouch!  Please don't recommend something like that!  Again, there is
the possibility to change the variable values without changing a
file.  Don't do this!

Additionally, with your changes you are effectively rendering TeX
Source Specials mode useless.  This mode can be used to toggle source
specials (which may change line breaking and should therefore not be
used for the final version unless you don't care about its quality).
See the "Forward and inverse search" section in the
(info "(auctex)Viewing") info node.

--
Ralf