Re: missing P function

From: robert . thorpe
Subject: Re: missing P function
Date: 20 Sep 2006 02:53:54 -0700

Jason Church wrote:
> Windows 2000 or Windows XP Professional.
> Emacs 21.3.1
>
> I've run into an issue of  missing what I believe is a standard emacs
> function.
> call-interactively: Symbol's value as variable is void: p
>
> I have also noticed I can't find any functions that end in -p, for
> example file-newer-than-file-p.  At one point this used to work for me,
> but I can't remember when.  Perhaps and older version of emacs.
>
> Both my home and work PCs run into the same issue.
>
> I've attempted to locate the missing functions but so far I haven't come
> across any. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the functions that end in "-p" or just "p" are only functions,
they are not commands and can't be run interactively.  That is, they
show up when you do C-h f but not when you do M-x.  They're for elisp
use.

I think a handful can but I can't remember which ones.

AFAIK Emacs has always worked this way regarding these functions.