Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system (& ...rwindow)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system (& ...rwindow)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 10:13:51 +0300

> Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 02:50:28 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> CC:  help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>       autolearn=no version=3.0.4
>
> Mathias Dahl wrote:
> > Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> >

> >> Looks like the trick we play around line 3005 of w32fns.c isn't
> >> working.  What Windows version is that?  Is there someone on this
> >> list who can make LWIN-r combo work for them in Emacs, in any
> >> version of Windows?
> >>

> > I just tested with emacs -q and it works as for the parent poster,
> > i.e. Win+s gives me `search-backward-regexp' but Win+r opens up the
> > Run dialog. The same applies for Win+e (open Explorer.exe).
> >
> > I use CVS Emacs from 2006-03-20 on Windows XP.
> >

> This behaviour is consistent with MS documentation. To avoid that
> windows left and right keys open for example the run dialog with Win+r
> you have to implement a low level keyboard hook.

Can you give a pointer to the Microsoft documentation which says that,
and/or documentation that explains how the LWIN-r combo works in terms
of Win32 API calls, and why it bypasses the normal keyboard reading
Emacs uses?

> That is what I have done in the patched version of Emacs that you can
> download together with EmacsW32.

I'm well aware of your patched version.  The fact is, however, that we
do seem to have code in w32fns.c that tries to work around the Run
dialog being popped.  I asked my question (above) to try to understand
whether that code works at all, on any Windows system.  Presumably, it
worked for someone at some point in the past, or else it would not
have been added to Emacs.