more powerful regular expression extension?

From: Florian Kaufmann
Subject: more powerful regular expression extension?
Date: 25 Sep 2006 00:56:54 -0700

Hello

I was googling a while, but didn't found anything which I find
surprising: Isn't there a package for (x)Emacs with which more powerful
regexes can be used for isearch-forward-regex and the like? Emacs
regular expressions lack many features such as lookaround, atomic
grouping, possessive quantifiers, conditionals etc. I found references
to john-edwin-tobey.org/perlmacs/ but it seems that the URL is no
longer valid. Anyway, I think that package focuses on replacing lisp by
Perl to program you own Emacs tools/functions.

Greetings

Flo