Troubles with abbrev-mode

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Troubles with abbrev-mode
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:56:27 +0200

Hi all,

I want to start using abbrev-mode but I don't get it right. I use emacs
from the current CVS head, which I updated today.

Those are my abbrevs (`list-abbrevs'):

(message-mode-abbrev-table)

"lg"           0    "Liebe Grüße"
"mw"           0    "meines Wissens"
"vg"           0    "Viele Grüße,"

(text-mode-abbrev-table)

"vg"           3    "Viele Grüße,"

(lisp-mode-abbrev-table)

"da"           0    "defalias"
"dl"           0    "dolist ("
"dm"           0    "defmacro"
"ia"           0    "interactive"
"se"           0    "save-excursion"
"swe"          0    "save-window-excursion"

And those are my problems:

a) The abbrevs for `message-mode' I defined with `edit-abbrevs'. Then I
   started writing a message (in `message-mode') and wondered why my
   abbrevs don't expand. I inserted a new abbrev with
   `add-mode-abbrev'. But that abbrev was added to
   `text-mode-abbrev-table' instead of message-mode's one. And in
   `message-mode' only abbrev defined in `text-mode-abbrev-table'
   expand. Why? Is it a bug?

b) All the abbrevs below `lisp-mode-abbrev-table' were defined when I
   was in `emacs-lisp-mode'. But they also expand in SLIME's common lisp
   mode, where `save-excursion' and `interactive' are totally
   useless. Isn't it possible to save abbrevs strictly mode-specific?

Best regards,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!