Re: Indentation varies for .cc and .cpp

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Re: Indentation varies for .cc and .cpp
Date: 27 Sep 2006 14:30:32 -0700

Eric Lilja skrev:

> Hello, I'm trying to construct .emacs-file to be used in a course. The
> emacs version in question is 21.4.1. I haven't written the original
> .emacs file but I've made a few changes to it based on student input.
> The course is a C++ course and some of the student use .cc to denote to
> C++ files, some use .cpp. We want placement of {} to be aligned with
> their opening clause:
> if(some_condition)
> {
>    // code here
> }
>
> for(...)
> {
>    // code here
> }
>
> etc...emacs does this for files ending in .cpp, but for files ending in
> .cc it indents the {} themselves so we get
> if(some_condition)
>    {
>       // code
>    }
> Why and how do I change this behaviour?
>
> Here's the .emacs-file:
>
> (setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
> (setq require-final-newline 1)
> (setq inhibit-startup-message t)
> (put 'downcase-region 'disabled nil)
>

> (setq version-control t)
> (setq backup-by-copying t)
> (setq backup-by-copying-when-linked t)
> (setq backup-by-copying-when-mismatch t)
> (setq kept-new-versions 99)
> (setq kept-old-versions 0)
> (setq delete-auto-save-files t)
> (setq trim-versions-without-asking t)
> (global-set-key "\C-X\C-s"
>                               '(lambda () (interactive) (save-buffer 16)))
>

> (global-font-lock-mode t)
> (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)
>

> (set-language-environment "Latin-1")
> (set-terminal-coding-system 'latin-1)
>

> (setq scroll-bar-mode-explicit t)
> (set-scroll-bar-mode 'right)
>

> (set-background-color "White")
> (set-foreground-color "Black")
> (set-cursor-color     "Black")
>

> (custom-set-variables)
> (custom-set-faces
>  '(font-lock-comment-face ((((class color) (background light))
>                                                       (:italic t :foreground
> "Firebrick"))))
>  '(font-lock-function-name-face ((((class color) (background light))
>                                                                 (:bold t
> :foreground "Blue"))))
>  '(font-lock-keyword-face ((((class color) (background light))
>                                                       (:bold t :foreground
> "Black"))))
>  '(font-lock-string-face ((((class color) (background light))
>                                                  (:italic t :foreground
> "ForestGreen"))))
>  '(font-lock-type-face ((((class color) (background light))
>                                                (:foreground "Blue"))))
>  '(font-lock-variable-name-face ((((class color) (background light))
>                                                                 (:foreground
> "Black"))))
>  '(font-lock-reference-face ((((class color) (background light))
>                                                         (:foreground
> "ForestGreen")))))
>

> (transient-mark-mode t)

> [...]

Sorry for this shameless bump, but do anyone have any ideas at all?
Since it's for a large number of students I would really like to fix
this so they can use .cc or .cpp and still get proper indentation. We
run solaris at the labs and as I mentioned emacs is version 21.4.1. I
dont see this problem with the same .emacs file on my laptop running a
recent cvs checkout of emacs.

/ E