Re: Can I ask a Simple question?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Can I ask a Simple question?
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 14:38:50 +0200

neil <neil@serenity.region4.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, David Kastrup wrote:
> snipped
>> Which version of Emacs and which operating system?
>
> I am using Emacs version 21.3.1 under FreeBSD 6.1 - I have not made any
> changes to either the program or my operating system.

I don't know FreeBSD at all.  On my system, putting something like

Emacs.Geometry:80x35
Emacs.toolBar: 0
Emacs.Background: white
Emacs.font: 10x20

in the ~/.Xresources file does the trick for me (geometry, toolbar
off, background color and font choice) after logging the X Session out
and in again.  Using ~/.emacs instead is likely more complicated, and
it has the disadvantage that the window gets mapped before Emacs
applies the setting, meaning that the Window manager does not get a
clue about placement before it is too late, and that you get a visible
resize flicker.