Re: Can I ask a Simple question?

From: jmg3000
Subject: Re: Can I ask a Simple question?
Date: 4 Oct 2006 12:06:41 -0700

neil wrote:
> We all know that emacs is complicated and hard for novice users.

I disagree. Though, there are a number of keyboard commands to
memorize.

> [snip]
> When i start emacs, i always hold down the shift key and left click my
> mouse to get font select. You see, i cannot read the small default font
> and need to make it larger. This is the value i always select:
>
> Courier 18
>
> *My Simple Question:* Please show me exactly what line i need to write
> into a .emacs configuration file so that this font size is loaded
> automatically each time i start up emacs?

If you're ~/.emacs file is ok, instead of touching it, just try running
Emacs like this:

$ emacs -fn 10x20 foo.txt

and see how you like it. If you really want that courier font, use:

$ emacs -fn
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--18-180-75-75-m-110-iso8859-1 foo.txt

After you've picked a font you like, so you don't have to always type
"-fn blah...", put it into your ~/.Xresources file (create the file if
you don't already have one) like so:

emacs.font:
-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--18-180-75-75-m-110-iso8859-1

then log out and log back in to X.

To pick out a font and get its full name (like that
-adobe-courier-med...) I run NEdit and use its built in font selection
tool. I tried xfontsel, but it wasn't helpful.

---John