Re: new member

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: new member
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:13:09 +0200

Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com> writes:

> "minidiapolis" <minidiapolis@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello, I don't know if I'm in the right group.  I'm a relatively new
>> user to Emacs and I was wondering how I would do a search and have it
>> delete the specific text.  if someone could help me out, I would really
>> appreciate it.  Thanks, Mindy
>
> Yes, you are in the right group!
>
> Emacs is said to be (among others) a "self documenting" editor. This
> is, in fact rather close to reality. I personally would recommend to
> every new user to install a relatively new version (what contains the
> full documentation by default) and start using C-h.

Well, first   C-h t    for the tutorial where replace-string is mentionned.

> E.g. in your case:
> * C-h i -> opens the documentation (Info)
> * don't forget to read the "intro" on the top of the page: it describes
>   the most basic keys in an info window
> * go to "Emacs" (second link) (and Enter)
> * go to Concept Index
> * search for "replace": C-s replace
> * repeat C-s until you find what you need. In this case it can be:
> "* global substitution:                   Replace."
> Here (chapter 20.9) you see how to query replace, regexp replace, etc...
>
> Well, you already need some Emacs-specific keys for these steps, but you
> will remember them quite soon ;-)
>
> You can check what a key would do by:
> C-h k <here do the key sequence or mouse event>
>
> C-h b shows all usable keys in the active window.
>
> And C-x k closes ("kills") the unnecessary windows...
>
> Br,

WARNING: This product attracts every other piece of matter in the
universe, including the products of other manufacturers, with a
force proportional to the product of the masses and inversely
proportional to the distance between them.