in gnome terminal, Emacs "hears" C-M-SPC as M-SPC

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: in gnome terminal, Emacs "hears" C-M-SPC as M-SPC
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 22:18:29 -0700

subject pretty much says it all: I'm using recent Emacs from CVS;
gnome-terminal from recent ubuntu.  Almost everything works
perfectly -- but when I hit C-M-SPC, which I do a _lot_, Emacs "hears"
M-SPC.  (By which I mean if I then type C-h l, I see ESC SPC; or if I
do C-h C-c C-M-SPC it tells me that "M-SPC runs the command
just-one-space".  You get the idea).

Is there some way I can fiddle gnome-terminal to fix this?
--
... democracy is the worst form of government except all those
other forms that have been tried from time to time.