Re: Problems in Displaying endash in Emacs-w3m

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Problems in Displaying endash in Emacs-w3m
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:30:11 +0200

Am 09.10.2006 um 03:19 schrieb Charles philip Chan:

On  8 Oct 2006, Peter_Dyballa@web.de wrote:

The decimal, octal, and hexadecimal values are always strange in GNU
Emacs 21 and 22. Can you check what coding system is displayed for
you in mode-line? I have "-u:" which stands for UTF-8. Do you have
set in your .emacs file some non-UTF-8 *-coding-system?

Yes, all my buffers are in utf-8 (I do have the "-u" in my modline). The
strange thing is that the n-dashes are displayed correctly in ordinary
Emacs buffers, I only have problems in Emacs-w3m. Are the n-dashes
showing for you at http://www.emacswiki.org, for example?

Well, I cannot say that I *see* them, but at least I can i-search for these characters! In this block I can find them right after the first word embedded in SPACE (but not in "Emacs-Wiki":

  • SiteMap – This page – the main Emacs-Wiki entry point.
  • HowTo – How to use the Emacs Wiki – especially, how to contribute.
  • Search – Search the wiki in different ways.
• ElispArea – Upload and download EmacsLisp source code for extending and customizing
    Emacs.
  • RecentChanges – Recent changes to the wiki.
  • News – Chronological Web log (blog) about the wiki.
  • Problems – Problems people are having with the wiki.
  • Suggestions – Your suggestions for improvement of the wiki.

(The endashes are saved here in Mail window!) W3m is an awkward mode! It destroys all my Meta key bindings. And when I then copy text via the Edit menu it makes Carbon Emacs beep. (In the X clients Emacsen it behaves better!)

Charles, try to get the file utf8.txt (part of Kermit distribution) from, for example, http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/kermit/charsets (or directly http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/kermit/charsets/utf8.txt). It's a description of the first 64 K characters in Unicode, i.e. its BMP, the Basic Multilingual Plane. You can search for 2013 and then position the cursor on [–] in the first column and then with C-s C-w RET make isearch remember to search for – next time you type C-s C-s.

Again: you don't lose anything when you launch a second GNU Emacs with -Q, but you gain one that is working, that is not confused by any personal or site specific settings. When this one works fine, as it should, then it's likely that some customisation is causing the behaviour you complain. To find out which line is the culprit you'll have to try the method of binary search in .emacs: first comment first half, save, and launch a new Emacs. If the behaviour is still faulty kill this Emacs, uncomment the first half, and comment the second half instead, and save. Launch new Emacs. If it runs fine it means that the culprit is in the commented second half. So uncomment first half of the second half (i.e. third quarter of .emacs), save, and launch another Emacs. Continue until you've found the line. If some instructions are inside of blocks, as I have, it can become complicated ...

Do you set-language-environment in .emacs? Try to avoid it! It's meant for 7 for 8 bit folks. It's better to have LANG or LC_CTYPE set in shell environment.

--
Greetings

  Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck
is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners.
                                    Ernest Jan Plugge