Re: Hard to switch from vi

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Hard to switch from vi
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 16:47:07 +0200

Jeremy Hankins wrote:
Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

Do you know about Viper, a really good vi emulator inside Emacs? At
least it is very good in Emacs 22. Emacs 22 is not yet released but very
stable and will hopefully soon be in pretest.

See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ViperMode

I second viper.  I used vi for many years before starting to use emacs
(so that I could use gnus), and I don't think I'd be able to give up the
command-mode/insert-mode distinction.  It's just too keyboard-friendly.

I personally consider viper to be more of an implementation of vi in
elisp; it generally works quite well with other emacs modes without
interfering with their use.  There are a few exceptions, though -- I'd
love to get viper to work better with folding.el, for example.

What version of Emacs do you use? What are the problems with folding.el?