Re: diffs between a buffer and the underlying file

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: diffs between a buffer and the underlying file
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 19:56:25 +0000 (UTC)

In article <87bqp9hn48.fsf@lion.rapttech.com.au>,
Tim X  <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
>John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:
>
>> Urs Thuermann <urs@isnogud.escape.de> writes:
>>
>>> OK, thanks.  Debian doesn't have Emacs 22 yet, BTW.
>>
>> aptitude install emacs-snapshot
>>
>> (at least I know it's in unstable, not sure about testing)
>>
>> --
>> -John Sullivan
>> -http://www.wjsullivan.net
>> -GPG Key: AE8600B6
>>

>Its not in testing, but it is in unstable. So, to get emacs-snapshot
>(aka emacs 22 CVS) on a Debian testing system, put the following in
>your /etc/apt/conf.d directory (call it something appropriate like
>05local, so that it is loaded at an appropriate time)
>
>APT::Default-Release "testing";
>
>this will ensure aptitude (or apt) will give preference to packages
>from testing rather than unstable and stop heaps of packages from
>getting updated from the unstable repository.
>
>Then you need to add an unstable repository to your
>/etc/apt/sources.list
>
>then, to install emacs 22 from unstable, but keep everything else from
>testing, all you need to do is an
>
>aptitude update
>aptitude install emacs-snapshot
>
>and your away. You will then get updated emacs snapshots every week or
>so as they are updated from CVS. I've been running it for months now
>and it is very stable - you can even try emacs-snapshot-gtk to get the
>one built with the gtk widgets (though I don't think it is quite as
>stable).
>
>HTH
>
>Tim
>--
>tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

And what if you want to use it for solaris/sparc?

What adjustments to the above need to be made?

Plus, an exact "cut-n-paste" cvs-cmd (line, switches, etc)
for downloading a newest-hottest-experimental-emacs.tar.gz --
ie, cvs command-line that's usable -- WITHOUT HAVING TO
KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CVS (or whatever).

THANKS

David