Re: Arrowless navigation

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Arrowless navigation
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:42:32 +0200

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <mailman.7295.1159072918.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Dieter Wilhelm  <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:
>>Jochem Huhmann <joh@gmx.net> writes:

>>> For me the Control key on the lower left corner of the keyboard is in
>>> the perfect place. I don't need even a finger to press and hold it, I
>>> just tilt down my hand to the left and press with my hand at the base
>>> joint of my pinky. Leaves all ten fingers free for typing.
>>>

>>Yes that's the way to go (for touch typists) it leaves your fingers in
>>the home position.  But I think it's more natural (and more symmetric
>>in the line of the shift key and capital letters) when you are also
>>using the right CTRL key.  For example C-f is done with the outside of
>>your right bale on the right CTRL key and of course with the left
>
>             ^^^^ -- "bale" -- what's that?  (Not in my dictionary,
>                                 other than like "a bale of hay").

I'm very sorry, this was a confusion of the German translation of bale
-- (Heu)-Ballen but I meant (Hand)-Ballen which can be abbreviated to
the same word.

What I meant to use is the portion of the palm (at the side, beneath
the little finger).  I looked it up in Wikipedia and I found
hypothenar as the proper word for the group of muscles there.

Thanks for pointing me to this mistake (it's a risk learning a
language by dictionaries).

Might be helpful for my German compatriots:
Handfläche -- palm
Handballen -- the ball of the hand
Kleinfingerballen -- hypothenar
Daumenballen -- thenar