Re: current directory

From: vb
Subject: Re: current directory
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:12:02 -0700

> Am 18.10.2006 um 23:52 schrieb help-gnu-emacs@vsbe.com:
> > Is there a way to prevent emacs from changing its current directory
> > when opening a new file or changing between files being visited?
>
> Why? For what?

as I mentioned in the original email:

> Now, if I start a shell script through call-process, the shell script's
> current directory is also /g/d/f

the script finds the ID database in the current directory tree and then looks
up a token in the database. If current directory changed to a different tree,
the ID database is not seen by the script.

I think this is one of the examples when emacs is overdoing its stuff - it
should have no business changing user's current directory or at least allow
to configure this behavior.

cheers,
/vb