Re: current directory

From: help-gnu-emacs
Subject: Re: current directory
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 01:16:32 -0400

> The current directory is different for each buffer.  If you want the
> script to do the right thing for the file /a/b/c/file, start the
> script from the buffer which visits that file, not from the buffer
> that visits /g/d/f/file1.

Eli, thank you, I figured this much. So, if I want to look up a variable which
is in /a/b/c/file, but the ID file is in the /g/d/f tree - I am screwed.

>> I think this is one of the examples when emacs is overdoing its stuff - it
>> should have no business changing user's current directory or at least allow
>> to configure this behavior.
>
> You are wrong: Emacs does _exactly_ what the user expects: all
> operations from a buffer that visits a file assume the default
> directory is the directory of that file.  This is not a global value,
> each buffer has its own setting of the default directory.

Well, what makes you think that you can speak for all users? Am I not a user?
I sure don't expect an editor to do it, no other editor I came across in almost
20 years suffers from this malaise. If someone thinks this behavior is a
benefit - at the very least leave the backdoor open to those ho doesn't.

cheers,
/vb