Re: Manipulating the modeline

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Manipulating the modeline
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:37:12 -0600

[Please don't top-post.]

Chris McMahan wrote:
As far as I know, the variable you change is
mode-line-buffer-identification

Here's how I set it for path and file name in the modeline
  (setq-default mode-line-buffer-identification
    '("%S:"(buffer-file-name "%f")))

This has the unwanted side effect of forcing a file name even for
modes that do not involve a specific file (like gnus). It might be a
good place to start looking, however.

What is "%S"?  My version only documents "%s", the buffer's process
status.  But I don't know why the (buffer-file-name "%f") entry displays
anything for buffers visiting a file.  What file name could it display?

"Joakim Hove" <joakim.hove@gmail.com> writes:

Hello,

my modeline currently displays the name of the buffer I am
editing/viewing. Is it possibly to change this to include the full path
to the file (if the buffer is bound to a file)?

(setq-default mode-line-buffer-identification
              '(buffer-file-name "%f" "%b"))

or

(setq-default mode-line-buffer-identification
              '(buffer-file-name
                (:eval (propertized-buffer-identification "%f"))
                (:eval (propertized-buffer-identification "%b"))))

--
Kevin