Re: current directory

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: current directory
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:17:13 -0400

vb <help-gnu-emacs@vsbe.com> writes:

> no, it would not be insane at all. All other editors but emacs I am used to
> maintain a notion of "current directory" and allow the user to change this
> current directory explicitly. The fact that emacs doesn't even have an
> infrastructure for that just shows how off mark its approach is.

M-x cd

But anyway, I find it quite common in applications of all types to have the
default directory in any file chooser be determined by some method -- often,
the default directory starts with whatever directory you chose the last time
you used the chooser.

I think the emacs behavior of having the default directory be the directory
where the file currently being accessed lives is sensible.

You do know that if you just type a / after the default input, you are back at
root again, right? You don't even have to delete the default text that emacs
inserts in the minibuffer.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net