Re: pasting many times

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: pasting many times
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:52:14 +0200

Hello Dieter,

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 09:55:02PM +0200, Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
> I think it's not fair to the other editors to claim that you only need
> 3 keystrokes in vi, you often have to change the modes in your
> session, that represents only in the best case.

I see :) , let me rephrase: My problem isn't much the number of
keystrokes, but an ability to repeat a simple command a certain number
of times, just like C-x RET c <charset> RET <command>. Defining a macro
for such a thing just seems to be an overkill.

> We would need some modifier keys as well and this would result in at
> least 7 keystrokes unfortunately.

Not if I bind it to F12, and Viper seems to deserve that ;) .

> > there was a combination like M-5 M-9 ?-? C-y.
>
> I can't imagine this.

Ah, perhaps that was MultiEdit. BTW, is the argument of C-y ignored?

> But I've another idea assuming you wan't to have 59 additional lines
> with some text!
>
> Instead of copying the text (to the kill ring) mark it with C-x . as a
> fill prefix, place the cursor to a line beginning at your choosing and
> type M-5 9 C-o.  Here we are with 5 keystrokes.

Thanks, this works for one line. However, I needed several lines.

> Do you intend to modify the 59 fold copied text afterwards?

Yes, why?

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.