Re: pasting many times

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: pasting many times
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:15:20 +0200

Baurzhan Ismagulov <ibr@radix50.net> writes:

> Hello Dieter,

Hi Baurzhan, 8-)

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 09:55:02PM +0200, Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
>> I think it's not fair to the other editors to claim that you only need
>> 3 keystrokes in vi, you often have to change the modes in your
>> session, that represents only in the best case.
>
> I see :) , let me rephrase: My problem isn't much the number of
> keystrokes, but an ability to repeat a simple command a certain number
> of times, just like C-x RET c <charset> RET <command>. Defining a macro
> for such a thing just seems to be an overkill.

C-x z (repeat) and then just zzzzzz (assuming Emacs 22.0.50).

>> We would need some modifier keys as well and this would result in at
>> least 7 keystrokes unfortunately.
>
> Not if I bind it to F12, and Viper seems to deserve that ;) .

Yes, totally right!  Sorry, I'm a touch typist and forgot that some
guys are able to leave the home position of the keypad ;-).

>> > there was a combination like M-5 M-9 ?-? C-y.
>>
>> I can't imagine this.
>
> Ah, perhaps that was MultiEdit. BTW, is the argument of C-y ignored?

No it isn't, M-5 9 C-y means that the command returns the 59th
previous entry of the kill-ring list.

(length kill-ring)60
M-100 C-y seems to circle through the kill-ring.

>> But I've another idea assuming you wan't to have 59 additional lines
>> with some text!
>>
>> Instead of copying the text (to the kill ring) mark it with C-x . as a
>> fill prefix, place the cursor to a line beginning at your choosing and
>> type M-5 9 C-o.  Here we are with 5 keystrokes.
>
> Thanks, this works for one line. However, I needed several lines.

Why on earth do you need to paste the same paragraph 59 fold?

>> Do you intend to modify the 59 fold copied text afterwards?
>
> Yes, why?

maybe there is a better solution for the complete problem, maybe we
could change something with C-M-% automagically?

Maybe it makes more sense to copy and edit the paragraphs more
incrementally?

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm