Re: pasting many times

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: pasting many times
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:54:23 +0200

Baurzhan Ismagulov <ibr@radix50.net> writes:

> I see :) , let me rephrase: My problem isn't much the number of
> keystrokes, but an ability to repeat a simple command a certain
> number of times, just like C-x RET c <charset> RET
> <command>. Defining a macro for such a thing just seems to be an
> overkill.

I have to agree with this. Some years ago, when I was quite green with
Emacs and had just learnt how to use C-u together with different
commands, I naturally tried to use it together with yank to yank the
same text X number of times. To my surprise it did not work as I
expected. Of course I know why now, and the reason is that the yank
command interprets a numeric prefix command in a different way.
Personally I don't think I ever used that functionality in yank, that
is, being able to yank an older kill (I don't see how people can keep
track of the number of the kill they want, I rather use M-y after
doing C-y), although I am sure there are many who love this feature.