Re: pasting many times

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: pasting many times
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:13:47 +0200

>     I have to agree with this. Some years ago, when I was quite green with
>     Emacs and had just learnt how to use C-u together with different
>     commands, I naturally tried to use it together with yank to yank the
>     same text X number of times. To my surprise it did not work as I
>     expected. Of course I know why now, and the reason is that the yank
>     command interprets a numeric prefix command in a different way.
>     Personally I don't think I ever used that functionality in yank, that
>     is, being able to yank an older kill (I don't see how people can keep
>     track of the number of the kill they want, I rather use M-y after
>     doing C-y), although I am sure there are many who love this feature.
>
> FWIW, I happen to agree with Mathias. If I want an earlier kill, I use C-y
> M-y.

FWIW, I agree with Drew C-y M-yyy... is the way to go for me since I
usually don't memorise the kill-ring by heart.

And when we are at it.  I do not understand why M-y depends on C-y at
all, lets just take the second entry of kill-ring by default and third
and fourth and so on?

Now we are already 4 forgetful people, could this be made into an
official feature request (for after the release ;-)?

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany