Re: incremental search

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: incremental search
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 03:37:50 -0400

In article <87ods07tes.fsf@trick.ulm.malte.spiess>,
 Malte Spiess <i1tnews@arcor.de> wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > In article <m38xj5rmdd.fsf@localhost.localdomain>,
> >  Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> C-s turns on incremental search but it is not doing what I am
> >> expecting which is;
> >> when I want to find "man" it high finds "woman", how can I limit it to
> >> the word "man", do I need to regex incremental search?
> >
> > If you don't mind a non-interactive search, you can use M-x
> > word-search-forward.
>
> You can also type C-s RET C-w for word-search. But this somehow only
> finds one occurance.

If you mean that you can't just type C-s to go to the next one, that's
what I meant about it being a non-interactive search.

> It is always possible to redefine a key, but if you're just a beginner I
> would probably rather recommand making a regexp-search with the
> beginning and the end of the word.
>
> I personally wouldn't want to have the behaviour you describe, maybe you
> should think it over if it's really a fortune to have it generally (of
> course sometimes it's helpful).

It depends on what you're searching for.  I've often been in the same
situation as the OP, where the word I want is frequently found as a
substring of unrelated words, so there are lots of spurious matches.

I usually switch to regexp incremental search when this happens.

C-s \<man\>

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA