Re: fatal font problem with emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: fatal font problem with emacs
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:21:09 +0200

Am 25.10.2006 um 10:14 schrieb BillJosephson:

I don't see .xinitrc. But, I don't know what to do with all this. Where
to go next, so to speak.

You have somewhere a template for ~/.xinitrc on your system, maybe in /etc/X11/xinit ...

When the X server is launched it looks for ~/.xinitrc. If the file exists it executes it. By this means you can correct and extend the font path, set other time constants or repeat rates or acceleration for keyboard or mouse, launch useful X clients and particularly choose a Window Manager.

The UNIX help system, i.e. the man and apropos (or man -k) commands, can explain more. More resources can be found on the Internet.

If you don't want to learn so much, you can check the look of a font in X11 with xfd (or xfontsel) and then invoke GNU Emacs with 'emacs - fn <your choice of font> &'. Or you simply filter the output of xlsfonts. This way you can find whether the fonts reported exist on your system. If they don't, you can select another one to pass on the command line.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"A mathematician is a machine that turns coffee into theorems."