Re: incremental search

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: incremental search
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:57:53 +0200

Malte Spiess <i1tnews@arcor.de> writes:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> In article <m38xj5rmdd.fsf@localhost.localdomain>,
>>  Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> C-s turns on incremental search but it is not doing what I am
>>> expecting which is;
>>> when I want to find "man" it high finds "woman", how can I limit it to
>>> the word "man", do I need to regex incremental search?
>>
>> If you don't mind a non-interactive search, you can use M-x
>> word-search-forward.

This is really, really beautiful, thanks.

> You can also type C-s RET C-w for word-search. But this somehow only
> finds one occurance.

Yes, strange.  Fortunately with the key combo C-s M-e M-w WORD C-s the
i-search for words works in the expected repetitive way (the hint
comes from Johan Bockgård, see the link below in case you haven't read
his message).

  Juri Linkov discovered "half-incremental word search". See
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-02/msg01119.html

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm