Re: Need an enabler for a bad habit.

From: William Case
Subject: Re: Need an enabler for a bad habit.
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 06:25:31 -0500

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 10:33 +0100, Mathias Dahl wrote:
> Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
>
> >> Is there a way to click on the mini-buffer or use a shortcut key so that
> >> my cursor is placed in the mini-buffer before I begin to type a command?
> >
> > M-x
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > M-x find-file RET /tmp/test RET
>
> I wonder if that is really what the parent poster meant. Look at what
> he writes:
>
> > I know, I know.  There is no need.  I can just start to type my
> > command and it will automatically appear in the mini-buffer.  This
> > has to do with my own uncorrectable bad habit, not necessity.
>
> That sentence, "I can just start to type my command and it will
> automatically appear in the mini-buffer." confuses me. I mean, he just
> can't do that, he has to type M-x first. Is he maybe using Viper mode?
> It will be interesting to see what he really meant, when he hopefully
> reports back here. :)

> /Mathias

Mathias, I was trying to skip using many words to say a simple thing.
Perhaps the paragraph should have read "I know, I know.  There is no
need. As long as emacs has the focus I can just start to type M-x or C-X
C-F etc. and my command will automatically appear in the mini-buffer."

And in any case, Pascal got my meaning.  His mouse solution bears some
consideration, but then my fingers would be trying to find some way to
put the cursor in the mini-buffer before typing M-x or whatever.  The
problem as stated is half tongue-in-cheek, half a self-tease and half a
real annoyance.

--
Regards Bill