Re: Emacs doesn't load .emacs

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: Emacs doesn't load .emacs
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 11:42:51 -0500

,----[ C-h f display-time-mode RET ]
| display-time-mode is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `time'.
| It is bound to <menu-bar> <options> <showhide> <showhide-date-time>.
| (display-time-mode &optional ARG)
|
| Toggle display of time, load level, and mail flag in mode lines.
| With a numeric arg, enable this display if arg is positive.
|
| When this display is enabled, it updates automatically every minute.
| If `display-time-day-and-date' is non-nil, the current day and date
| are displayed as well.
| This runs the normal hook `display-time-hook' after each update.
|
| [back]
`----

Note the TOGGLE part. It's likely that something in your site-startup is
turning display-time-mode on, and then your code in .emacs is turning it back
off. So, two things to try.

1) Test with something else. Put (message "It works!") in your .emacs, then
check your *Messages* buffer after starting emacs to look for that string.

2) Use (display-time-mode 1) instead of just (display-time-mode).

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net