Re: keybindings for c-i and tab

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: keybindings for c-i and tab
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 08:49:52 -0600

On Nov 16, 2006, at 2:03 PM, Tyler wrote:

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
You can
 (define-key function-key-map [tab] nil)
But then, many functions bound to C-I (like completion, or automatic
indentation) won't work with the tab key. You'll have to type C-I. Not
very pretty.
That's not good. I use tab for completion and auto-fill, or at least I did until I discovered it conflicted with my intended use of C-i. So am I correct in assuming that I can't bind anything to C-i without also binding it to tab, unless I elect to turn off tab entirely with your solution?

Your first note said "mystically linked" -- they produce the same ascii code.  Control-I is "tab".

Now, on X11 and probably other window based emacs implementation, there is a tab key that you can put into a keymap (as the previous note shows).

So, it might be that you can do a special dance and get the two to be bound separately.  But I think it will become a maintenance problem.

I would try saving the current binding of tab.  Set your new binding for control-I.  And then restore the original binding of tab.  I'm assuming the default binding of tab is somehow an indirection to the binding of control-i but I don't know the details.

I'm not sure this helps...

Perry Smith
Ease Software, Inc.

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems