Re: C-M-w and active region

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: C-M-w and active region
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:41:46 +0100

"Robert Thorpe" <rthorpe@realworldtech.com> writes:

> Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Do you know a good reason why C-M-w could not append an already active
>> region to the kill-buffer instead of typing C-M-w and M-w?
>
> It probably could, but it would be difficult to type.  Consider:-

Why, when I want to append a kill I have to type C-M-w anyway!

> C-w kill-region ie cut
> M-w kill-ring-save - ie save the region
> C-M-w append-next-kill
>
> If it meant "append this kill" then someone could type C-w mis-hitting
> M and not notice until they needed to do the paste.

I think it wouldn't be dangerous: 1st it only would do this when a
region is active and 2nd C-M-w would have to detect whether the latest
kill was either C-w or M-w.  So C-M-w would be in effect
kill-ring-save-and-append-or-kill-region-and-append when the region is
active and remain append-next-kill otherwise.

>> This applies also to C-w: I'd like to append some kill to the first
>> entry of the kill-ring, why shouldn't C-M-w be able to do this by
>> itself when it detects an active region and a previous C-w? I think
>> the current convention is less efficient: First to type C-M-w, then
>> activating a region and then the need for killing it.
>
> Try changing it and see what happens.  It may work better for you.  I
> hardly ever use C-M-w.

Neither do I, but when there are facilities I'm looking for ways to
make them--hopefully--as efficient as possible.

Thank you for your comment.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm