Re: Is it possible to use emacsclient as the Gnome system editor?

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Is it possible to use emacsclient as the Gnome system editor?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:40:38 +0100

> On 21 Nov 2006, sb@dod.no wrote:
>> So what I wonder is: is it possible to create an emacsclient.desktop
>> entry?  Or is desktop entry for emacsclient a meaningless concept?

> Yes.

> (1) Copy emacs.desktop to emacsclient.desktop

> (2) Open the emacsclient.desktop file in an edit

> (3) Change the command from emacs to emacsclient

Thanx to all who has responded in this thread!  This worked great! :-)

What I now have is a $HOME/.local/share/applications/defaults.list
file that looks like this:

[Default Applications]
text/plain=emacsclient.desktop
text/xml=emacsclient.desktop
application/x-perl=emacsclient.desktop
text/x-chdr=emacsclient.desktop
text/x-csrc=emacsclient.desktop
text/x-dtd=emacsclient.desktop
text/x-java=emacsclient.desktop
text/mathml=emacsclient.desktop
text/x-python=emacsclient.desktop
text/x-sql=emacsclient.desktop

I had to map more types than text/plain to get it working.  I would
have added text/html and application/xhtml+xml as well, because the
reason I'm doing this is to make GNU Emacs the system editor from
eclipse's PPW.  But I was afraid that changing those would interfer
with the Gnome desktop's operation.

The emacsclient.desktop file I ended up with, and which works for me,
looks like this (I changed as little as possible):

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Emacs 21 (X11)
GenericName=Emacs
Comment=GNU Emacs 21 Text Editor
Exec=/usr/bin/emacsclient
TryExec=emacsclient
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/share/emacs/21.4/etc/gnu-32x32.xpm
Categories=Application;Development;
MimeType=text/plain