Info index completion in Emacs 21

From: address@hidden
Subject: Info index completion in Emacs 21
Date: 24 Nov 2006 00:49:17 -0800

This bothered me for a long a time, so I came up with a quick solution.
Naturally, I only checked afterwards if someone posted a solution for
this already. Sigh.

Anyway, here it is if anyone's interested. I tested it with Elisp info
and it seemed to work correctly:

(add-hook 'Info-mode-hook (lambda ()
                            (define-key Info-mode-map "i"
'my-info-index)))

(defun my-info-index ()
  "Go to an index item in info with completion."
  (interactive)
  (Info-index "")
        completions)
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while (re-search-forward pattern nil t)
      (push (list (match-string 1)) completions))
    (Info-index (completing-read "Index topic: " completions nil t))))