cvs best practise [was: problems starting windows compiled help files wi

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: cvs best practise [was: problems starting windows compiled help files with start-process]
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:52:38 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 02:29:43 +0100
>> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
>>      Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com>
>>
>> That is because no one has had the time to rewrite that part.

I see.

>> Reading that part I also found that it is about running DOS processes on
>> MS Windows. I suggest that we rename to to reflect this.
>
> What version of which manual are you reading?  In the CVS version (and
> the one distributed with the pretest), the MS-Windows part _was_
> rewritten, and the node's name is "Windows processes".

That's right, but still nowhere mentioned w32-shell-execute.

I'd like to send a patch for this help file with one sentence or so
added.  Admitted in this case it's more intended as practising stunt
for learning more about texinfo and CVS usage.

What I'd like to know is how you guys are handling a changed version
of the Emacs source tree?  If I changed this particular info file I'd
get in trouble when updating the sources.  Am I supposed to merge my
personally changed files every time I'll do an update or is it better
to have a totally independent second Emacs tree for ones pet changes?

I'm eager to learn this.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm