Re: cvs best practise [was: problems starting windows compiled help file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cvs best practise [was: problems starting windows compiled help files with start-process]
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:49:00 +0200

> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 07:52:38 +0100
> >
> > What version of which manual are you reading?  In the CVS version (and
> > the one distributed with the pretest), the MS-Windows part _was_
> > rewritten, and the node's name is "Windows processes".
>
> That's right, but still nowhere mentioned w32-shell-execute.

I didn't think it was so important at the time I rewrote the Windows
sections of the manual.  I might add it now, but it's still unclear to
me how it would have helped you if it were there.  Did you search the
manual and the doc strings when you were looking for a solution to
your problem, and if you did, what did you search for, i.e. what
search strings and/or regexps did you use for the search?

> I'd like to send a patch for this help file with one sentence or so
> added.

There's no need, I will add the necessary docs if I understand how it
would have helped you.

> What I'd like to know is how you guys are handling a changed version
> of the Emacs source tree?  If I changed this particular info file I'd
> get in trouble when updating the sources.  Am I supposed to merge my
> personally changed files every time I'll do an update or is it better
> to have a totally independent second Emacs tree for ones pet changes?

CVS will merge files for you automagically.