Re: Q: How did _YOU_ learn Elisp?

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: Q: How did _YOU_ learn Elisp?
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:52:18 -0600

I learned over a long of time -- before there was an emacs lisp manual.  I used Guy Steel's book on Common Lisp as a basic guide to lisp.  I would not use it today though.  It is nice because you have all the source available.  So, just like doing html pages is often the process of find a page that does what you want to do and see how they did it, elisp is the same: find something that is close, understand how it works, then modify it.

So, basically, I would start small, do tweeks and adjustments to existing things.  Then move on to bigger things.  I generally write most of my stuff in the *scratch* buffer so I can experiment and play quickly.  There is another mode that can be used but I never learned it.

Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems