Re: .emacs

From: Jan Brosius
Subject: Re: .emacs
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 16:07:21 +0100

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
+ Jan Brosius <jan.brosius@skynet.be>:

| I am new to emacs. I use fedora Core 5 (64bit). I installed slime
| but it doesn't work. Perhaps I have inserted the lisp code in a
| wrong file. Where is my ~/.emacs file located?

In your home directory, named .emacs (new to linux/unix too?).

In my home directory I have a folder named .emacs.d (/home/Jan/.emacs.d) but it doesn't contain a file named .emacs , it contains a folder called /home/Jan/.emacs.d/auto-save-list containing no files.

I have installed emacs with yum install emacs.

Do I have to create a .emacs file myself?

Thanks for any help.
Jan