Re: gnu emacs rmail question

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: gnu emacs rmail question
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 06:17:56 +0200

> Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 13:13:19 -0800
> From: Lynda LoDestro <lodestro@llnl.gov>
>
> I tried extracting the region (starting with JV...) and applying
> the emacs function base64-decod<tab>
> A lot was decoded correctly, but not all the \xxx characters were
> correct. This was determined by diff'ing with correct version of the
> pdf file.  acroread on the result was a failure (blank pages).
>
> Do you have advice?

After decoding with base64-decode-region, type C-c (to get out of
RMAIL Edit submode), and then use the rmail-redecode-body command to
decode the \xxx sequences.  rmail-redecode-body will ask for an
encoding; give it the encoding mentioned in the Content-Type's
`charset' property.

The above should work for `Content-Type: text' attachments.  For other
types, such as PDF, I suggest to use write-region to copy the decoded
attachment to a disk file, then launch xpdf or any other reader on
that file.  Do NOT use rmail-redecode-body with any attachments that
are not of type text.