RE: How to set default directory in .emacs init file?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to set default directory in .emacs init file?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:47:30 -0800

> But I've just installed gnu emacs for Windows on my XP desktop, and
> annoyingly, the Find File command starts looking in the install
> directory for emacs! I'd like it to start in my data directory, which
> is in a totally separate partition.

There may be a better way, but I just specify the starting directory in the
Windows shortcut I use to start emacs. Right-click the shortcut that has
this as target: C:\your\path\to\runemacs.exe, and put the folder you want in
the "Start in:" field - e.g. C:\your\directory.

I also provide the same directory to runemacs.exe, so that I start Emacs in
Dired: C:\your\path\to\runemacs.exe "C:\your\directory".  HTH.