Re: yasq: unable to edebug-defun

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: yasq: unable to edebug-defun
Date: 15 Dec 2006 05:16:57 -0800

Mirko wrote:
> hello,
>
> This could be due to my incompetence, senility or just lack of emacs
> knowledge: I cannot compile my defun's.  If I try to do either M-C-x or
> C-u M-C-x, emacs tries to evaluate the defun in which my cursor
> resides, instead of compiling it.

That's the normal behaviour M-C-x evals a defun, which means it stores
the code for the function inside emacs.
C-u M-C-x evaluates it also instrumenting it for edebug.

> I tried also M-x edebug-defun, but then the debugger immediately tries
> to step through the function instead of instrumenting it.

The debugger should not be triggered immediately.
Maybe you have the wrong number of parenthesis in the buffer you're
using, try turning on show-paren-mode to check.

You have to have point at the end of some function Like
(defun foo () (print "bar"))POINT then hit M-C-x.

Bytecode compilation is only used through byte-compile-file normally.