Re: .doc files in emacs

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: .doc files in emacs
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:02:28 +1100

Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi
> I received a .dco file today and googled to find if I can open it in
> emacs.
> could not find an answer so I am asking here.
> can a microsoft .doc file be viewed/edited/converted/whatever by
> emacs?
> if not, how do you people handle this file?

I posted a utility called txutils.el to g.e.sources a couple of weeks
back. This utility converts various file formats to text or html using
external utilities such as wv. The utility "advises" the view-file
function so that conversion is done automatically when you select a
file to view with a known extension. Currently, it will convert *.doc,
*.ppt, *.xls, *.ps and *.pdf. The utility has a "customize"
configuration that makes it quite easy to extend conversion for other
types.

Let me know i you want a copy. However, note that it is pretty much my
first elisp utility I've let out into the wild - I think the elisp is
OK, but not great and probably could be greatly improved by a more
experienced elisper.

--
tcross (at) une dot edu dot au