Re: ange-ftp problem

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: ange-ftp problem
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:01:36 -0600

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote in message
news:mailman.2088.1166486649.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> Kitten wrote:
> > Do any of you emacs gurus have any idea what this log means, and why
> > ftp doesn't work from my emacs installation anymore? FWIW, I am able
> > log in via Explorer when I go to ftp://ftp.boop.net
> > (I've changed the website & usernames to protect the innocent).
> >
> > (C:\emacs\emacs-21.3\bin\emacs.exe)
> > For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
> > Password for u357@ftp.boop.net:
> > Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: .
> > Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: ..
> > Password for u357@ftp.boop.net: .......
> > Opening FTP connection to ftp.boop.net...done
> > Logging in as user u357@ftp.boop.net...done
> > Getting PWD...done
> > Listing /u357@ftp.boop.net:/...done
> > ange-ftp-barf-if-not-directory: Opening directory: no such file or
> > directory, /u357@ftp.boop.net:/
> > Quit
> >

> I have never been able to make the ftp.exe that comes with MS Windows
> (you are using that aren't you?) to work with Emacs. See
>
>    http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AngeFtp

I can get this ftp.exe  from the emacswiki to work in a dos window but not
through Emacs.  I read:

331 User myusername okay, need password.

But this is not really correct since my user name itself needs an @ sign
in it and this interferes with the parsing of the entire argument to C-x
C-f , including a second @ sign after the user name.
Is there some way around this problem?

Thanks,
Ed