Re: Building a database interface in Emacs

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Building a database interface in Emacs
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:03:01 +0100

jason haslup <jason@haslup.com> writes:

>> Is there any smarter way of doing it?
>
> I did something using comint's filter functions, but it requires
> having a *SQL* buffer open to the database you're interested in:
>
>   http://www.haslup.com/index.cgi/emacs/2006/12/20/

Nice! There are probably some ideas worth checking up in there.

> I'm not too familiar with sqlplus, but I know the mysql client has a
> raw mode and also an XML mode for queries that might help in looking
> for the end of a query's results.

Yes, sqlplus has an option to output things as HTML. That might makes
things easier to parse as well as easier to see when the output is
done.

> Or, if sqlplus doesn't work, I wonder if a simple helper client
> using oracle's libraries would be something you could use with
> start-process.

Yes, using OCI would be the best I guess, but I am too lazy and do not
have experience fiddling with that.

My experiements are working OK, now I just have to figure out what the
heck I *really* want to use it for... :)