Re: way to quickly jump to functions using menu created bymouseclicks

From: Badari Kakumani
Subject: Re: way to quickly jump to functions using menu created bymouseclicks
Date: 21 Dec 2006 15:27:18 -0800

Drew Adams wrote:

> > > I'm not sure what you mean. Imenu+ gives you a menu-bar menu, Defs, of
> > > function (and variable etc.) definitions, which you can access using the
> > > mouse. However, it does this only for Lisp. Perhaps you are looking for
> > > something that does the same thing for a different language? If so, you
> > > might be able to figure out how to do that (using Emacs Lisp),
> > > based on how Imenu+ does it for Lisp.
> > >
> > > To be sure we're communicating, does Imenu+ do what you want
> > > for Emacs-Lisp files (*.el) at least? If not, try explaining again
> > > what it is that you are looking for.
> >
> > there is something i am really missing ;)
> > i am using emacs version 21.2.95.2 on sun machines.
>
> That's fine.
>
> > the menu items at the top i see are as follows:
> >     File   Edit   Options  Buffers Tools  Emacs-Lisp Help
> > None of the above menus seem to lead me to imenu stuff.
>
> Did you load imenu+.el? Not just imenu.el, but imenu+.el (it will, in turn,
> load imenu.el).

yes. i did.

> Did you visit an Emacs-Lisp file - for example, imenu+.el? In an Emacs-Lisp

yes. i did.

> buffer, you should see a separate menu-bar menu, Defs, with menu items for
> definitions in the visited file. In a different buffer, that is not in
> Emacs-Lisp mode, you will not see menu Defs.

not sure how i missed it -- but, yes, i now see Defs menu-bar item that
lets me jum to selected function/macro etc of the .el file i am
visiting.

> > is it possible that some other package that i am using is clobbering
> > the menu item put-forward by imenu?
>
> Possible, but I doubt that is your problem.
>
> > not sure about the exact elisp code/functions that control the emacs
> > menus. once i know the code/functions that control
> > this feature, i could grep the packages i have and see if they do any
> > funny things with my menus. any pointers are appreciated.
>
> Before you try to debug things, please make sure that you have actually
> tried what I suggest above: load imenu+.el and then visit an Emacs-Lisp
> file.

now, i work mostly with perl files and load cperl package from
somewhere.
if i type 'M-x imenu' i DO see a separate buffer containing
function-names.
if i select function using Mouse-2 button, i do jump to that function.
BUT i do NOT see the neat 'Defs' menu-bar item you noted. how do i go
about fixing it?

thanks a lot for your help. much appreciated.

-badari