Re: Wide reply in Gnus

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Wide reply in Gnus
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 17:11:38 +0100

On Sun, Dec 24 2006, Leo wrote:

> Let's say I am reading an article with a header like this:
>
> ,----[ Article header ]
> | From: Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>
> | Subject: Wide reply in Gnus
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
> `----
>
> Now I want to reply to this email. I want to send to the newsgroup and
> also cc Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>.
>
> I can hit 'F' to get a header like:
>
> ,----[ message followup header ]
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
> | Subject: Re: Wide reply in Gnus
> `----
>
> And manually add the cc field to get this:
>
> ,----[ CC field added manually ]
> | Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.help
> | CC: Leo <sdl.***@gmail.com>
> | Subject: Re: Wide reply in Gnus
> `----
>
> What I am looking for is, is there something do those two steps
> automatically?

A drawback of using Newsgroups + Cc is that the recipient can't do a
proper wide reply unless he knows some details about Gmane.  When he
uses an MUA without NNTP support, the discussion will drift off to
private mail because the list corresponding to "Newsgroups"
(help-gnu-emacs in your example) is lost.

The best solution is to include "Original-To" in
`message-header-synonyms' use `S w':

,----
| To: Leo
| Cc: help-gnu-emacs
`----

See also: <http://thread.gmane.org/v9d5fu77qg.fsf%40marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>

Bye, Reiner.

P.S.: Gnus questions would be more suitable on gmane.emacs.gnus.user
      = gnu.emacs.gnus = info-gnus-english<at>gnu.org
--
       ,,,
      (o o)