Re: gnu vs. xemacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: gnu vs. xemacs
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:52:00 +0100

"H." <hbe123@gmail.com> writes:

> I was just curious why people in this community prefer gnu over
> xemacs, or if that is the case, and, whatever your preference is,
> why you feel that way. I'm neutral myself, being just a
> beginner. All opinions welcome. For instance, perhaps these
> difference forks are good for different things...?

Except for some features of its own, development of XEmacs trails that
of Emacs for about 5 years.  For those features where XEmacs is
leading, the documentation is still trailing for about 5 years, so one
can't actually make educated use of them.  Development for XEmacs is
not user-driven: problem reports and feature and documentation
requests from non-core programmers tend to fall by the wayside or get
argued away.

It is my impression that GNU Emacs has a much higher standard of
documentation and coherence in API design and user interface.